Thursday, March 22, 2012

Macro-Raw Harmony

Make a conscious decision to see harmony where others choose to find contradictions

Raw food purist and macrobiotic teachers may both be appalled by my combination of the two paths to health. I have experienced times in my life living completely macrobiotic and others 100% Raw. During both extremes I felt great health, but never the total overall wellness that I do now being the macro-raw foodist. Each of these diets have documented healing every illness known and improved the health of millions.
Let's take a look at two food pyramids designed to sum up the diets.





In common they are plant based diets, mostly vegan with naturally sourced whole organic foods. On the raw food pyramid living leafy greens and fruits make up the base. The macro version base is whole grains and vegetables. Science has shown certain vegetables like spinach and broccoli to contain possibly harmful compounds in their raw state. Lightly steaming these may also provide greater amounts of antioxidants like beta-carotene and other carotenoids. Living raw foods with enzymes still intact are easily digested and super charge your bodies energy. Studying the pyramids and their many contradictions can leave ones head spinning. I have chosen to pick out the similarities in common and base my week on harmonious food choices. My raw food meals leave me feeling free and super-charged. In balance my macro meals ground and balance my body. I wish for my macro-raw way to bring others peace and harmony and the gift of total wellness!

I shared this salad with a friend today over some much needed catching up, wonderful conversation, and laughter. She added a macro cooked millet with apples to the side to round out the meal. I adapted the recipe by Diana von Cranach found in Purely Delicious Raw Food Lifestyle Magazine's Spring 2010 issue. It's Asian flare combines nicely with macro-raw style.

Asian Slaw
3 C Carrots, grated
1 t Cumin
1 t Garlic Powder
1 t Coriander
1 t Cloves
1 t Freshly Ground Black Peppercorns
1 T Raw Honey
1/4 C Lime Juice
1 Red Onion, sliced
2 T Raw Cashews
1 t Black Sesame Seeds
Meat of 1 Thai Baby Coconut
1 Small Red Asian Chili, diced

Combine all of the ingredients(except for the nuts, sesame seeds, and coconut meat) to make the slaw.

Take an organic clean dark green Chinese or Russian Kale and chop it into bite size pieces. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and sea salt over the greens. Lightly massage the dressing in and allow the kale to rest for fifteen minutes or more. The greens will wilt and become very tender. Place in a large pretty bowl and top with the Asian Slaw.

Garnish the salad with the cashews, sesame seeds, and coconut meat.

Share with a special friend and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment