Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Rawfully Good Baby's First Birthday Cake

Good food from the beginning is a gift of lifelong health and prosperity

Raw food desserts are almost always filled with nuts. Many raw pies call for two or three cups of nuts for the crust alone. For me, that's an insane amount of fats and too much of an imbalance of omegas. For these reasons I eat fruit for desserts and save the fancy raw recipes for parties and potlucks.

Recently I was honored to be asked to make the birthday cake for my sweet surrogate twins first birthday. Instantly I knew that I wanted it to be raw
and filled with life force energy to empower their little bodies. On top of my reasons for avoiding nuts, young children shouldn't have nuts because of the high potential of allergens. A dilemma arose, how was I going to make a raw cake without nuts? After much experimentation I came up with a beautiful, delicious cake made entirely of fruit, flax and chia seeds!






Crust and Fondant Topping:
4 Bananas
1/2 cup Flax

For the crust and fondant like top I blended four bananas with a half of cup of flax seeds in a high speed blender. I spread this mixture onto two dehydrator trays covered in teleflex sheets and dehydrated at 105 degrees for five hours.
I took a 9" spring form pan and placed one dehydrated banana sheet in the bottom, letting the edges fill in the sides and cut the excess off the top.







Filling:
2 Thai Baby Coconuts
2 Bananas
1/2 cup Chia Seeds
Variety of Tropical Fruits - Mango, Papaya, Pineapple, Banana...whatever you like.

For the cream filling I blended the water and meat of two Thai baby coconuts with two bananas and the chia seeds. I alternated layering this filling with slices of tropical fruits.

After three layers of cream and fruit I placed the other sheet of dehydrated banana on top and cut it to fit. This looked like



a fondant covered cake. Then I used strawberry slices and blueberries to decorate. I let the cake set in the refrigerator overnight. It sliced beautifully! The twins, and everyone at the party loved it!





Please visit http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Cartwheeling-On-Clouds-Photography/134314226654689 for more pictures of the Super Twins First Birthday Party

2 comments: