Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Feed Your Face

With the endless list of chemicals to avoid in beauty products I choose to create my own blends of cleansers, moisturizers, and masks. I hardly ever put anything on my skin that I would not put into my body. The fact is, our skin is our largest organ and everything that touches our pours is absorbed into the body.
I like Dr. Bronners baby formula castile soap for washing my face and body. I add organic pure essential oils depending on the season or skin condition. My skin is acne prone and combination, so I usually add a few drops of tea tree oil for it's anti-bacterial properties to my facial cleansing blend. I use Dr. Bronners with peppermint, clove, neem, and cinnamon oils for tooth brushing. I like adding peppermint oil to my body wash for an invigorating morning blend and lavender for a calming evening bath.
Today I came across a NY kombucha brewing company that sells kombucha clay masks. I though that was a great idea. I love my home kombucha brew, but never considered putting it on my skin. A quick google search led me to find that there are even two well know skin care companies using the fermented tea in their products. They claim that the kombucha not only detoxifies, but also hydrates the skin as it improves skin elasticity, improves skin tone, texture and clarity as it brightens the skin. Finally, kombucha as an active ingredient also combats the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
I came up with a clay mask of my own using my favorite Redmond Clay , my home brewed rooibos tea, and wheatgrass powder. The clay pulls toxins from the skin and can even be ingested and used to pull toxins from the intestines. The wheatgrass fights bacteria and calms and reduces inflammation along with providing many nutrients.

Detoxifying Kombucha Wheatgrass Clay Mask
-Makes one application
-1 Tbl Clay Powder
-1 tsp. Wheatgrass Powder
-2 Tbl Kombucha
Mix well to form a paste. Cover the facial skin coating evenly and allow to dry for at least fifteen minutes. Great time for a short meditation! Rinse well with cool water to remove.

I also like to use some fresh aloe to cool and rehydrate after a clay mask application.

Remember don't put anything on your beautiful skin that you wouldn't eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment