Sunday, April 22, 2012

30 Day Challenge Day 9 Flow

Things have turned around and I am feeling back in the flow. In part due to my "Feel the Flow Smoothie" that I created this morning! Today I also began to miss my raw food creativity. Sure I've been having fun coming up with new juice and smoothie combinations, but I still feel the need to play with more of my chef skills. Therefore, I decided that for the rest of the Sundays during the 30 Day Challenge I will create one or more new raw dishes. Even so these new dishes will still be nut and fractured food free and keep within my goals for the challenge.

Today the northeast has slipped into a rainy spell. I am glad for my garden, but hurt for my love of outdoor activity. To stay active today I utilized my favorite pilates and yoga videos on Hulu and Netflix. They are a great resource when I can't get out, and keep things interesting with so many workouts to choose from.

Day 9 Smoothie:
Pineapple is super great for digestion and loaded with enzymes. Specifically bromelain which
banishes inflammation as effectively as drugs, reduces swelling, helps against sore throat, treats arthritis and gout, and speeds digestion of proteins. New research is even showing pineapple to be highly effective at cancer prevention and treatment. Pineapple also supplies a super source of Vitamin C to fight free radical damage, boost the immune system, and increase oral health. This special tropical fruit is also known to aid in the implantation of embryos because of the bromelain's ability to break up proteins that may inhibit implantation. All of my surrogacy sisters know to eat up some pineapple before IVF transfers!

Mustard greens contain phytonutrients called glucosinolates that can help activate detoxification. At least three key glucosinolates have been identified in mustard greens: sinigrin, gluconasturtiian, and glucotropaeolin. They provide an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, and manganese. Hydroxycinnamic acid, quercetin, isorhamnetin, and kaempferol are among the key antioxidant phytonutrients provided by mustard greens. These leafy greens are also an excellent source of vitamin K and a smaller but reliable source of omega-3 fatty acids. 

Flax, Psyllium, Chia, and Aloe are all unbelievable digestive aids that bind to toxins and build up in our system and aid expulsion. 

Feel the Flow Smoothie
Fruit from 1/2 of a Pineapple
2 Oranges Peeled
1 Bunch Mustard Greens
1 Handful of Parsley
1 Tbl. Raw Golden Flax Seeds
2 Tbl. Psyllium Husk Powder
1 Tbl. Chia Seeds
1/4" Piece of Aloe Vera
1 C Water
1 C Ice
Blend all of the ingredients in a high speed and be ready to feel the flow!
Day 9 Sunday Creative Raw Meal:
Seed Burger on Tomato Basil Onion Bread with Hipster Mayo with a side of Rutabaga Fries
Seed Burger
1 Large Beet
1 Carrot
1 C Alfalfa Sprouts
1/4 C Chopped Parsley
1 Clove Garlic
1/4 C Hemp Seeds
1/4 C Flax Seeds
1/2 C Soaked Sunflower Seeds
With the grating blade on a food processor grate the beet and carrot. Switch to the S-blade and add the sprouts, parsley, garlic, hemp, flax and sunflower seeds. Process well. Form into patties and place on the mesh sheets of a dehydrator and warm at 105 for 1 hour. I dressed my burger with lettuce, Hipster Mayo, soaked sun dried tomatoes and sprouts.
The onion bread was adapted from Matt Amsden's in Rawvolution. I added sun dried tomatoes, basil and garlic to his basic recipe.
Hipster Mayo
1 C Hemp Seeds
1/4 C Pure Water
Juice of 1 Lemon
1/4 tsp. Cumin
1/4 tsp. Oregano
1/4 tsp. Hungarian Paprika
Dash Coriander
Dash Cloves
Dash Allspice

Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and whip for 2 minutes. This is a great dip or spread for burger or any sandwich. I dipped my fires in it too!

Rutabaga Fries
2 Good Sized Rutabagas Peeled
1 tsp.Sea Salt
2 tsp.Paprika

Slice the rutabaga into shoestring size fries and toss with the sea salt and paprika. They may be warmed at 105 in a dehydrator for one hour. Alternatively these may be made with khol rabi or jicima in place of rutabega. I am not a big fan of cooked rutabega, but I was surprised to find that I enjoyed their subtle sweetness prepared raw in this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment